Power Factor Correction
Sreenivasa Reddy Mula

Sreenivasa Reddy Mula, ASST.PROFESSOR, MLRinstitute of technology, Dundigal, Hyderabad.
Manuscript received on November 04, 2013. | Revised Manuscript Received on November 18, 2013. | Manuscript published on November 20, 2013. | PP: 16-17 | Volume-1, Issue-12, November 2013. | Retrieval Number: L03551111213/2013©BEIESP
Open Access | Ethics and Policies | Cite
© The Authors. Published By: Blue Eyes Intelligence Engineering & Sciences Publication (BEIESP). This is an open access article under the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)

Abstract: In this paper, a new parallel-connected single phase power factor correction (PFC) topology using flyback converter in parallel with forward converter is proposed to improve the input power factor with simultaneously output voltage regulation taking consideration of current harmonic norms. Paralleling of converter modules is a well-known technique that is often used in medium-power applications to achieve the desired output power by using smaller size of high frequency transformers and inductors. The proposed approach offers cost effective, compact and efficient AC-DC converter by the use of parallel power processing.Forward converter primarily regulates output voltage with fast dynamic response and it acts as master which processes 60% of the power. Flyback converter with AC/DC PFC stage regulates input current shaping and PFC, and processes the remaining 40% of the power as a slave. A parallel-connected interleaved structure offers smaller passive components, less loss even in continuous conduction inductor current mode, and reduced volt-ampere rating of DC/DC stage converter. MATLAB/SIMULINK is used for implementation and simulation results show the performance improvement.
Keywords: Ac-Dc converter,pwm,pfc, simulink, matlab.